Shortcuts & tips from an Impatient DBA #7
This series of short posts will demonstrate some lesser-known features, keyboard shortcuts, and other tips that make my day as a DBA more productive. None of these are groundbreaking super-secret features–they are the little things that I do as part of my daily work that make me more efficient.
Common SQL Server Management Studio keyboard shortcuts
Yea, the ones you probably already know
Here’s a quick run-down of some of my favorite keyboard shortcuts. Some you certainly know, some might be news to you. I won’t go into them in excruciating detail–try them out for yourself, and see what happens.
- Ctrl+Tab / Ctrl+Shift+Tab – Switch tabs
- Ctrl+R – Show/hide Results pane
- Ctrl+L – Get estimated execution plan
- Ctrl+M – Include actual execution plan
- Ctrl+ (K,C) – Comment selected text
- Ctrl+ (K,U) – Uncomment selected text
- Shift+Alt+Enter – Toggle full screen
- Ctrl+U – Move cursor to database-selection drop-down